Friday, April 26, 2013

Fashion Lovers vs. Clothes Lovers

Brittany Fowler Pardon My Fashion Fashion Blog Thrifted Denim Jacket Vintage Liz Clairborne Sweater Vintage Plaid Pants Theory Booties Forever 21 Necklace Alex and Chloe Engagement Ring

The most valuable lesson I took from my brief stint studying fashion design at college (Ok…it was community college. Also should mention that this is South OC we’re talking about so I was basically going to school with the cast of Laguna Beach. Literally.) was that there were two types of students: Those who love fashion, and the social and cultural role it has played in people’s lives throughout history, and those who love clothes. I was part of the latter; and we were in the minority. Sooooooo, I don’t wanna get all Regina George on you guys but like, we could spot the clothes-lovers from a mile away: Tory Burch signature logo flats, Chanel sunglasses, Marc Jacobs handbag, True Religion jeans (all about those back pockets), Juicy Couture chain necklace, Tiffany’s charm bracelet…you get the idea. The clothes lovers always know the ‘Who, What, When, & Where’: Who is the designer? What’s in? What’s out? What should I wear with this? Where can I wear a pencil skirt? When is it appropriate to wear a mini skirt? What should I wear on a date? And sure, that shit is fun sometimes. And Cosmo could always use more writers like that! But we really need the fashion lovers to continue to ask, ‘Why’. Why so label obsessed? Why is fast fashion on the rise? Why are we showing so much skin? Why are the 60’s back in fashion? Why are the 90’s back in fashion? Of course, I don’t wanna be throwin’ shade on those ‘clothes lovers’ as I can never advocate any sort of ‘us vs. them’ mentality. I mean, at the end of the day we all just doin what makes us feel good...like us. And like really…who could resist Chanel sunnies and MJ handbags?! Cuz that shit makes you feel reeeeeeeal good ;) Though you’ve gotta wonder why…

Thrift denim jacket. Thrifted sweater. Vintage plaid pants. Theory booties.

Until next time,

Brittany

Brittany Fowler Pardon My Fashion Fashion Blog Thrifted Denim Jacket Vintage Liz Clairborne Sweater Vintage Plaid Pants Theory Booties Forever 21 Necklace Alex and Chloe Engagement RingBrittany Fowler Pardon My Fashion Fashion Blog Thrifted Denim Jacket Vintage Liz Clairborne Sweater Vintage Plaid Pants Theory Booties Forever 21 Necklace Alex and Chloe Engagement RingBrittany Fowler Pardon My Fashion Fashion Blog Thrifted Denim Jacket Vintage Liz Clairborne Sweater Vintage Plaid Pants Theory Booties Forever 21 Necklace Alex and Chloe Engagement RingBrittany Fowler Pardon My Fashion Fashion Blog Thrifted Denim Jacket Vintage Liz Clairborne Sweater Vintage Plaid Pants Theory Booties Forever 21 Necklace Alex and Chloe Engagement Ring

No comments:

Post a Comment