Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Life is For Ridiculous Hats and Pink Mini Skirts


Last week, I read a fabulous blog post by the lovely Gabrielle of Look Sharp Sconnie, in which one sentence in particular struck me: “Now, instead of dressing to live, I live to dress, and walks are made to give me something to wear.” FUCK. YES. Story time! I have always loved fashion…ALWAYS. I do not remember a time when what I wore was not of upmost importance to me. I was always known as a “fashion freak” to my peers, a title I cherished and definitely lived up to. College heralded an era when I developed more of an appreciation, no- an outright burning passion for all things relating to style, design, and fashion. Plot twist: In 2011 I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, year…because I was BROKE. Like, how am I gonna pay da billz broke. But ya know, that happens to people. The point is, during this period, I alienated myself from the fashion world and my passions completely fell by the wayside. I felt like I didn’t have time, money, or energy to devote to something that felt so, frivolous. And I didn’t quite feel like…me. I mean, where did “fashion freak” go?! One day, my man suggested we go window shopping at some vintage stores. And so we went. And we stumbled across a “Pile Sale”. And it was quite literally a giant pile of vintage clothes, and every single item in said pile is $5…or less. And I think I ended up staying for like, 3 hours. And I freaked out about spending $30 on 7 or 8 drop-dead-fabulous pieces; but I did it anyway. Because I had an epiphany sitting atop that pile; when you are passionate about something you will do it every damn day- no excuses. Find a way. Immerse yourself in your passions as much as you possibly can. Whatever it is; running, sailing, painting, Dance Dance Revolution, reading, writing, being a Mom, trading stocks, your dog, teaching…or maybe a combination of all these things. When you live life with passion, everything feels better. I haven’t missed a Pile Sale since that first one, and never let a day go by without indulging myself in some study of the sartorial sciences ;) Life is too damn short not to wear ridiculous hats and pink mini skirts. Can I get a Amen?

Vintage sweater. Vintage skirt. Thrifted hat. Steve Madden boots. 

PS- Cash flow is good these days so don’t cry for me Argentina. I could certainly go out and buy more “expensive” clothes but…well that would make me a sucker ;)

Until next time,

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment