Wednesday, June 19, 2013

On Hippies, Free People, and Not-So-Free People



I was listening to The Doors like, a lot this weekend. Can you tell? Ya know...sometimes you just gotta dress like a hippie. And a sunny Sunday at the beach is really just the perfect excuse. 

The hippie culture is such a novelty nowadays, isn’t it? Long (salon highlighted) hair, don’t care? You’re a hippie! Sportin’ a plastic flower crown? You’re a hippie, too! But the pinnacle of hippie commercialization has got to be Free People. Suddenly being a “hippie” isn’t a social/political/cultural movement concerned with materialism, commercialization, etc; it just means you’re a Free People customer. 

Ok ok, full disclosure: Free People has got some cute ass clothes. Like, if they appeared in my closet right now I would totes wear them. In fact, a couple months ago, I splurged (JK, my Grandma bought them for me) on some polka dot skinny jeans from Free People...only to put them on this morning, attempt to hike them up by the belt loops, and have these pants completely torn to shreds. They are officially unwearable. I’m like bitch, you don’t see that happening with my $4, 30-year old Levi’s! Okay so you actually DO see that happening...but THAT shredding is artfully done, and in like, totally strategic locations! Anyways...so to add salt to the wound, after I threw my torn pants to the ground in a fit of rage, I glanced down to see “MADE IN CHINA” tag glaring back at me. Turns out the hippie ideal of ‘free people’ isn’t actually important to Free People...


PS- I’m reading “No Logo” so I’m a little fired up about these things... ;) Although mostly I'm just pissed about my polka dot pants.


Vintage skirt. Target basic tee. F21 hat. No brand flip flops. F21 bracelet.

Until next time,

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment