Sunday, July 28, 2013

On Luxury and Secondhand


I went to the mall the other day. Srsly, the mall has nothing to offer me anymore. Has anyone noticed how all the stores merchandise sort of blends together now? Everyone sells the same shit, by the HUNDREDS of units. And I mean like, high-end, mid-level, big-box, fast-fashion...it’s ALL a big circle jerk of knock-offs and copy-cats. Nothing feels “special” anymore, ya know? Guess that’s why over the years I morphed into  a ride-or-die secondhand, thrift, and vintage Queen. At this point, my wardrobe mainly consists of people’s castoffs...which is really just a fancy word for trash. I wear people’s trash. And yet hanging in my closet are silks, velvets, cashmeres, and furs a plenty. I sometimes get a bad rap for being “cheap”...and ok fine, I am. But I looooooooove luxury, and secondhand is the only way I can obtain my own version of “luxury” within my wardrobe, so to speak. It’s like Alber Elbaz said to WWD in April 2013, “I think that luxury is at a turning point. For me, luxury is authentic; it has to be special and unique. The moment everybody has it, it’s no longer a luxury. It may be expensive but not luxury, so I think it has to be special enough to be really luxury." WERD UP, HOMIE.

Vintage OP top. Vintage Wrangler skirt. F21 choker. F21 Sandals. <-- Hypocrite.

Until Next Time, 

Brittany




No comments:

Post a Comment