Wednesday, February 6, 2013

You're Strange and You're Beautiful

Once in a while, I come across an article of clothing that I am “strangely attracted” to. I don’t necessarily fall in love with it right off the bat, the way I do with most items in my closet.You know like, usually I’ll pick up a dress and think, “Ok I can wear this with my brown boots and maybe this fur coat...and it might look cute with that one grey sweater.” These items that I am strangely attracted to tend to be of the more, avant garde variety; intimidating yet ripe with the possibility for FABULOUSNESS. Over the years, I have learned to respect and obey the force of my sartorial subconscious; I no longer try to quiet what I once thought was a silly little voice in my head. Today, I give you a prime example of the fabulousness that can arise out of listening to the little voices in your head. This vintage dress originally had a lining that was floor length, but I gave it a simple chop and a hem and voila- welcome to the 21st century biotch! I think my subconscious was 2 parts inspired by the Chanel Resort 2013 collection and 1 part Lolita Street Style. I was so confused by this dress. I mean it’s a bit ‘out there’ and it kinda looks like something you would find on a creepy headless baby doll. So, it sat in my closet for many weeks. Until last weekend I found out that one of my fave new artists Natalia Fabia would be showing her work at the Q Art Salon in Santa Ana. And it clicked; it was time to bust out the creepy baby doll dress. Art Shows are always the perfect occasion to push the fashion envelope! The moral of this story: Strange attractions can turn out to be a beautiful thing...don’t you think?

Customized Vintage dress. F21 boots. F21 necklace.

Until next time,

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment